Cookbook:Basic Pizza Crust
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Basic Pizza Crust|
- 1 cup warm water (95-110 degrees F (35-43 C))
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, mix warm water, salt and honey. Start off with extra warm water so that it is still at the proper temperature for yeast.
- With the honey and salt fully dissolved, stir in the yeast and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir completely.
- Keep adding flour until dough begins to form a ball and is not sticky.
- Now knead dough thoroughly for a minute then cover bowl with lid.
- Let rise 1 hour. Then punch dough down. Let dough rise again for 1 1/2 - 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 475°F (245°C) (add 20 minutes if using a pizza stone)
- Shape or freeze (See below)
- If using crust immediately, add desired toppings.
- Bake 15-25 minutes.
Notes, tips and variations
- This recipe will produce two 16" (40 cm) pizza crusts
- Add crushed/pressed garlic to dough with first cup of flour.
- Substitute olive oil with sesame oil.
- If you're baking on a cookie sheet, sprinkle flour lightly on the sheet and pat dough to desired shape and size.
- If baking on a pizza stone, lightly flour a wooden pizza peel or paddle, and pat out dough on peel.
- At this point, the crust can be frozen for later use or used immediately. To freeze, place entire cookie sheet in the freezer. When it is frozen, remove crust from sheet, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and return to freezer. When ready to use, put toppings on frozen crust and bake as directed.