Cookbook:Banana Creme Pie
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Banana Crème Pie
- 3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour or
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch baked pastry shell
- meringue made from the leftover egg whites (optional)
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
- Add milk gradually.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until bubbly.
- Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes and remove from burner.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, then immediately add egg yolk mixture to hot mixture and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Slice 3-4 bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell.
- Top with pudding mixture and spread meringue (if desired) on top of the pie.
- Bake at 350 °F for 12–15 minutes.
Cool before serving.
Notes, tips, and variations 
- Fresh whipped cream can be substituted for meringue after the pie is baked.