Cookbook:Balsamic Rhubarb Compote
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This recipe makes a very interesting compote which is especially recommended for rhubarb fans.
- 3 Tbsp balsamic balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 fresh rhubarb stalks, leaves discarded, ends trimmed and stalks cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups frozen sliced rhubarb, thawed, reserving liquid
- In a saucepan simmer vinegar with sugar and gingerroot, stirring, until sugar is dissolved then stir in rhubarb (with reserved liquid if using frozen).
- If using fresh rhubarb, simmer until crisp-tender, about 1 minute, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- If using frozen, as soon as mixture returns to a simmer transfer rhubarb with slotted spoon to bowl.
- Simmer liquid until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes, and remove pan from heat.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Serve compote warm or at room temperature.