Cookbook:Apricot Walnut Chutney
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 lb (450 g) dried apricot
- 3 onions (peeled chopped fine)
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 2 orange zest
- 1 lb (450 g) light brown sugar
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp mustard (English)
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Soak dried apricots overnight in water.
- Drain apricots and chop.
- Boil the chopped onions for a few minutes to soften them; drain.
- Cut zest from oranges in long strips, and dice strips into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Put all the ingredients except the walnuts into a large non-aluminium kettle and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and cook gently, stirring regularly, for 1 1/2 hours until the mixture is thick.
- Stir in the walnuts. Pour while hot into warm sterilized jars. Seal with lids and rings.
- Process in boiling water for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Lids will ping if sealed properly. If any jars fail to seal, refrigerate and use within a few days. Store sealed jars in cool, dark place.