Cookbook:Apple, Pear and Apricot Chutney
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) Conference pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 limes, grated zest and juice
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 liter (0.22 imp gal; 0.26 US gal) pint white wine vinegar
- 225 grams (7.9 oz) each of raisins and chopped dried apricots
- 7.5 centimeters (3.0 in) piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) dark muscovado sugar
- Put the apples, pears, onions, garlic, lime zest and juice, mustard seeds and half the vinegar into a large saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit is nearly cooked.
- Add the remaining vinegar along with the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until thick and pulpy.
- Leave the chutney to cool for 15-20 minutes then pack into the jam jars, cover with a wax disc and a screw top lid. Store in a cool dark place for 3-4 weeks before enjoying.
Warm sterilised jam jars and jam pot covers - prepare jars by washing in hot soapy water and leaving to dry and warm in a cool oven - 130C/250F/Gas ½ for 10-15