The object of a trick-taking game is to take (or avoid taking) tricks, or groups of cards played simultaneously or in turn.
- 400 – a Lebanese game similar to Spades
- 500 – based on Euchre
- All Fours
- Barbu – similar to Hearts
- Bezique – classical game based on Piquet, similar to two-handed Pinochle
- Bourre – gambling game, related to Spades and Euchre
- Briscola – Italian
- Cắt Tê – Vietnamese game focused on the last trick, related to the domino game Tien Gow
- Clabber – similar to Euchre and Hearts
- Contract bridge – related to Whist
- Court Piece – An Asian game similar to Contract Bridge
- Doppelkopf – popular game in Germany, related to Schafkopf
- Écarté – classical two-player game, related to Euchre
- Escova – Italian
- Euchre – popular in English-speaking countries, related to Écarté
- Forty-fives – Irish
- Gong Zhu (also known as Chase the Pig) – a Chinese version of Hearts
- Hearts – whist variant, objective is to avoid certain cards
- Hokm – Iranian version of Whist, similar to Spades
- Jass games - has the distinguishing feature that Jack and Nine of the trump suit are the highest trumps.
- Kaiser – four-handed game played in Canada
- Mighty – five-handed game similar to Hearts, Rook and Nap
- Napoleon (or Nap) – trick-taking game with auction, based on whist, variable number of players
- Nines – three-handed whist variant
- Oh Hell – trick-taking game in which an exact number of tricks must be won
- Old Maid – children's game
- Pinochle – trick-taking game with melding phase, based on Bezique
- Piquet – classical two-player trick-taking game with melding phase
- Ruff and Honours
- Svoyi Koziri
Rummy Card Games
The object of Rummy-style games is to play groups of matching cards before your opponent(s).
Casino and Gambling Card Games
Solitaire Card Games
- Solitaire games are single player card games.
Shedding Card Games
The object of a shedding game is to get rid of all of one's cards.
Accumulating Card Games
The object of an accumulating game is to get all the cards.
Fishing Card Games
Drinking Card Games
Miscellaneous Card Games
All other games that don't fit into one of the above categories.