From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 Actual wishes
- 1.1 General workflow
- 1.2 Statistics
- 1.3 Project management
- 1.4 Navigation
- 1.5 Communication
- 1.6 Quality assurance
- 1.7 Filter/Sort/View
- 1.8 Resources
- 1.9 GUI
- 1.10 Import/Export
- 1.11 Others
- 2 Solved issues or workarounds
- 2.1 Issues solved in current memoQ version
- 2.2 Workarounds
For any problem and workaround see also the page CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips and Tricks. Please choose the appropriate section to add a wish.
- Editing the source: Since there are often mistakes in source texts, it would be convenient to be able to correct the source on the fly. Otherwise, wrong source text is enshrined in the memory. It would also be good if tags could be deleted at the translator's discretion. As the software now stands, the translator is not given full credit as an intelligent participant. If it really is not possible to delete unwanted tags, it would be nice if they were hidden in the source text as soon as Alt + F8 is pressed. Then the translator can focus on what matters and not be bothered by what doesn't. (Rod Walters)
- Show which TBs and TMs are associated to projects: When moving or deleting a TB or TM it would be convenient to know in which projects the TB or TM is used. (Carsten)
- The settings for auto-propagation should be specific to a project (instead of applying generally, as it is now) // tsca [re] 14:00, 18 July 2008 (UTC)
- Server Administrator, Server projects: Would it be possible to add a status feature here? E.g. in the form of colours that can be given to projects by right-clicking them in the overview pane (for example like the categorize feature in Microsoft Outlook). This would help in the workflow. You could give a project which has been translated but is pending feedback and possible changes from the client the colour red, and then change it to green once the project was completely finanlised. Green would then indicate that project was ready for updating/sending segments to a final/proofread TM. I suspect the possibility to categorize projects according to five different colours would be sufficient. No need to define categories/statuses for each colour; in that way people can use the colours to fit their specific workflow. (ditbal)
- Reset format: a command (and shortcut) to reset a format of segments (bold/italic/underlined)
- Confirm without propagation: a command (and shortcut) to confirm a segment without propagation (if propagation is enabled)
- Show statistics history in Statistics window - an option to view previous statistics reports in Statistics window
- Weighted word count
- Automatic copy of statistics in project folder or at least a reminder/confirmation before closing the statistics' windows (T. Rox)
- Saving intermediate reports - an option to measure hourly productivity by comparing different reports
- Analysis percentages with decimal places - rounding everything down makes the percentages useless for character/word counts
- Different profiles for translation and proofreading: an option to switch between proofreading and translating profile
- Automatically open the last project: an option to open automatically the last project
- Grouping and labeling documents in Project Home: an option to label and group document (creating folder structure) for batch tasks and filtering
- Prioritizing of documents: an option to mark different priorities for processing
- Hide common file path: an option to hide in Import/Export path column on Project Home tab file path which is common for all files
- Copying projects: In most cases a new project is similar to an existing project: project manager, translator, source language, target language, client, etc. So copying a project makes sense (Carsten)
- Project dashboard to have an overview of running projects (T.Rox)
- Hide/unhide TM/TB/project: an option to hide TM/TB/project having possibility to restore its visibility in resources
- Profiles for creating projects: In general there are too many clicks necessary for creating a new server project. In a profile you could determine the source language, target languages, translator(s), project manager(s), etc. In a "normal" company the source language never changes, so why it has to be selected with every new project. There should also be a checkbox in order to use the file name as the project name, or it would be even better if the project name were defined through variables (project manager initials, date, running number, etc.). (Carsten)
- Bookmarks in order to quickly mark entries (e.g. in order to return quickly to the last edited segment after scrolling up and down in the text) (TilovdB)
- Insert "Rich" Bookmarks in Translation file when several people do several tasks on the same document and on the same PC, allowing later review/proofreading of specific parts. Each BookMark could include information like : Who, did What (translation, proofreading, etc...), on Which part (X segments from A to B, representing Y source words), When, for How Long . This information could also be used later for project accounting purposes (on a larger project, who contributed in how many % to reach the goal) (MartinB)
- Being able to click on hyperlinks to webpages and be sent to the page directly instead of having to highlight the link and copy it into the browser (Anette)
- Go to original segment from translation results: an option to go to the original segment within the same project from translation results (e. g. a translator notices some errors in translation results and need to go to the original segment to correct it). Such feature exists in SDL Passolo.
- Go to repetitions: clicking on the repetition icon in the document view allows to filter other repetitions of this segment in the document/project.
- Jump to view: an option that is opposite to "jump to" option in view (to go from document to view)
- Communication add-in for the translation manager
As a translation manager it would be nice to have a communication window always open and always on top. Or put it into the task bar.
If there several projects with documents into several languages, I would like to get an instant notification of a new chat entry or a forum thread. So can answer immediately. (Carsten)
- Communication add-in
- Email notification when somebody posts a message in the forum. Subscribe option for new messages. New posts will be sent to the user's email address which is stored in the user profile on the MemoQ server.
- Possibility to delete messages (Carsten)
- Comments function: possibility to export all comments made to a document (or project) to a file that can be edited and e.g., submitted to the client as queries. (ditbal)
- Notepad to add notes for each project (in most cases to collect and forward them to the client) (T.Rox)
- Propagation for comments: an option to propagate comments for repetitions so that a comment would be visible in all identical segments which were propagated
- Status for comment: an option to set a status for comment (accepted, rejected, replied and user-defined lists with different statuses). An option for filter comments by its status
- Different level comments: an option to add and see comments on different levels (project, document, view and segment level) with tree-like interface to check them
- See comments in QA results
- Export comments for TTX-files
- A flag for files with comments - a mark for files with comments to see in the file list which files have comments inside (without opening them)
- Extra column for comments - a "comment view" - an option to see comments in a separate column
- Delete all comments in a file/view - an option to delete all comments with one button/menu item
- Navigation panel in Active comments tab - an option to go to the next commented segments
- Filter comments in Active comments tab - an option to filter comments by different attributes (user, date, category etc).
- Change font size in Active comments tab
- Filter comments by its category (error, warning, information, other)
- Skipping segments which are identical to source in QA: an option to skip segments which are identical to source during QA (except notice "identical to source")
- Ctrl+Shift+L in QA tab: an option to use a shortcut for lock/unlock segments in QA results tab
- Differences between translated segment and TM entry: an option to see a differences between translated segment and TM entry. It is very useful when proofreading in memoQ translations which were made externally in other CAT. Some segments in TM could have "approved status" and they should not be changed in translation. This feature would help to track such "illegal" changes
- Check web-addresses: an option to check web-addresses (and recognize them as non-translatable)
- Check ™, ®, ©, *, >, <, ≥, ±, +: an option to check usage of these symbols in target
- Check acronyms: an option to check acronyms (and recognize them as non-translatable)
- Save sort order in QA results: memoQ always resets a sort order by table column in QA results when you change anything.
- Identification of duplicated punctuation marks: double colon, double semicolon etc.
- Check words before sign ® and TM: ensure that trademarks are not translated
- Recognize chemical formulas
- Spellcheck all CAPS: an option to check spelling of words which are in all caps.
- Skip the whole segment: an option to skip not only one word but the whole segment during spellchecking. E. g. "Skip segment" button in spellchecker window.
- Skip identical to source segments: an option not to check spelling in segments which are identical to source. Such segments are usually left in a source language and do not need to be checked.
- Tabular report for spellchecking: spellchecking gives a tabular report with summary of errors. It could have a design similar to QA report and have different columns. It could be placed on a separate tab in QA results. It would save time when spellchecking a large document (doing it in a background)
- Improve speed of spell checker (TilovdB)
- Renaming of views: an option to rename views rather then create them a new.
- Templates and history for filters: an option to save templates and history for filters to use them by single click
- Filtering segments by formatting: an option to filter segments by present of formatting (contain bold/italics)
- Filtering segments where target is identical to source: an option to filter segments where target is identical to source (it would be a good complement for QA which could find such segments)
- Filtering documents by its status in Project Home: an option to filter documents by different status and properties (extension, degree of completeness, translated, proofed, size, name)
- Inverting filter: an option to invert filter (to see hidden by filter segments and hide visible segments)
- Defining the order of documents when gluing them together: an option to select an order of documents in a view composed of several documents (drag-n-drop would be fine).
- Creating view from selected segments: an option to create view from segments selected in work area via right-click menu
- Refresh view status: an option to refresh status of views (it is currently possible to refresh files only)
- Create view from view: an option to create a view from other views rather than documents
- Filter all respective repetitions in the project (or file) by clicking on the repetition icon of segment
- Creating view from filtered segments: an option to create view from segments filtered in work area via right-click menu (or button on filter panel)
- Filter/sort segments in view by file name: memoQ 2013 now shows file names in views; it would be useful to filter/sort segments in view by file name
- Ranking of TMs like TBs: an option to rank TMs like TBs in memoQ 2013 R2
- Penalizing all TMs except primary one: an option to add penalties to all TMs except primary one (it is easier than add penalties for each TM separately)
- Transferring context information between TM: moving context data between TM to get 101% matches.
- Colour-coding to distinguish between exact and fuzzy matches in the Translation Results window and in the translation grid after e.g. pretranslation. (Grzegorz Harbaszewski)
- Merging 2 or more TMs: an option to merge 2 or more TMs with one command taking into account meta-data (without import/export by mean of tmx)
- Locked segments in TM: an option to protect some segments from editing in TM.
- Show penalties in meta-information area: an option to show TM's penalties in meta-information area.
- Plug-in for using Trados TMs directly: an option to connect to Trados TMs.
- Turn off Predictive typing when typing in the middle of word: if you need to correct a spelling error in the middle of word, predictive typing tries to insert the whole word. Such behavior is confusing.
- Time delay for predictive typing: an option to set up a delay for displaying prompts
- Exclude from predictive typing words which are already typed in the segment
- Use content of active document/project for predictive typing: it is strange that memoQ does not offer words from segments translated above.
- Turn off predictive typing when the word is mostly typed: predictive typing is not required for short words or when 1-3 letters are left
- Remember selected languages when directly editing a term base - Done in current memoQ version
Source language should always be selected. The second language should be remember from the last editing session. (Carsten)
- Term base: terms show up even if they don't have a translation - Done in current memoQ version
Scenario: The project manager defines new terms and releases them. During translation the terms show up as not yet translated. (Carsten) - memoQ 5.0 does it
- Hide languages - Done in current memoQ version
New projects: For us as a company, the source language never changes. The target languages are fixed. Only once in a while we will add a new target language. It would be nice if one could
1. prefill the fields when creating a new project (e.g. saved settings from last project, so the French translator is already selected when creating a French project)
2. Hide target languages you don't need; e.g., deselect languages in a global settings dialog so they don't show up when creating a new project, term base, etc. (See Workarounds section)
These I consider nice to have features. (Carsten)
- Term base improvements:
1. A possibility to add extra columns
2. A possibility to add pictures and to link pictures (pictures may exist in a media asset management system or on the web site of a company)
3. An alignment function for importing word lists or adding a language
4. Export functions
a) Define the order of the columns (e.g. Subject > column 3, Domain > column 1, Note > column 2, etc.)
b) Save the export setting so the user doesn't have to select, deselect, order, select TXT or CVS, or whatever setting the next time she exports.
5. Easy access to the term base for terminologists. In our case, terminologists are marketing people and developers. Neither of them is interested in foreign languages, translation memories, alignment functions, translation projects, etc. They just want to
- enter and/or release terms in the source language
- look up and/or export terms of any language.
6. Web based access to the terms (read-only would be sufficient for our needs). At the moment we use the Typo3 extension sg_dictionary which is enough. See http://www.rohloff.de/de/info/woerterbuch/english/index.html for an implementation at Rohloff (sorry, our dictionary access is password protected).
7. Ignore accents (e.g. recognize "categorie" for TB entry "catégorie" and "habitaciones" for "habitación" (Torsten)
- Ability to Quickly Add terms to specific term bases with customisable shortcuts. (wordbook.nl)
- A thing DéjàVu never offered, as an alternative for fuzzy term recognition: morphological reduction/recognition (language specific). First language to start with, (of course ;-)): German - So: Dictionary has 'Baum', in the text 'Baumes' (Genitiv), Baumes is recognized as Baum+es. (Transit offers this.) (Hans List)
- MemoQ now stores it's dictionaries in a text file (we've discussed this), should be moved to a MySQL or MS Jet. DéjàVu users speak of big mama when they talk about terminology databases of 100 000 entries or more. They all use large databases that should work fast. (Hans List)
- Context sensitive terminology recognition. Some kind of 3 dimensional terminology database. Example: If computer and Apple are in one segment, do not translate Apple (or: translate it with Apple). If Apple and Tree are in one segment, translate it with 'green fruit growing on a tree'. I know subject codes can help, but my suggestion is nicer. (Hans List)
- Selecting TB entries to be exported. Instead of exporting the complete TB content, there could be a functionality to specify selected entries to be exported, for instance, all entries where the subject is "Finances" or "Project management". Such a functionality could also be helpful to quickly create a glossary intended for clients. A termbase is mainly intended to assist translators, but all terms would not be useful in a glossary. If I can mark some entries as "Glossary" and extract these specific entries, the creation and update process of client glossaries would be greatly enhanced. (Ariane)
- Saving the TB content to Word or PDF (or another format), to automate and speed up the creation of glossaries.(Ariane) - Done in current memoQ version
- Ability to add new fields, as for instance "Source" (F. Vidal)
- Possibility of viewing and changing all termbases during translation. Right-click on term in results pane and change destination of term. Edit term in termbase and see a list of all termbases to choose from. (Anette)
- Termbase compatibility to the TBX standard format. It will be nice, if MemoQ were able to import and export files with the TBX standard termbase exchange format. (Paul Bouvier) - Done in current memoQ version
- Being able to quickly find double entries in the TB or just a function that prevents one or more terms from being added more than once to the same TB (A. Jakobsen)
- It would also be very useful to be able to filter on things such as "case sensitivity" and "prefix matching" and "domain" ... so that we can fix things like double entries in our term bases, and edit/maintain them... That is, filtering on columns in the actual window that opens when we click on "edit" a term base, like in a spreadsheet, rather than having to use the confusing: Term Base -> Filter -> Filter and sorting interface, which I find rather unintuitive. (wordbook.nl)
- Shift+F3 in Add new term window: an option to change case in Add new term window by using shortcut Shift+F3
- Preferred terms: an option to mark a term as preferred. It could have a special icon in translation results. A preferred term could hide all other variants.
- Preferred TB: an option to mark TB as preferred. It could have a special icon and higher priority in translation results and QA (e. g. client's glossaries which should be strictly followed). - Done in current memoQ version
- Delete term from TB via right click menu in translation results: currently one needs to do several steps for it. - Done in current memoQ version
- Join 2 terms entries via right click menu in translation results: currently it is not possible.
- Customization of buttons on panel
- Ribon stretchable interface - aka MS Office 2010 ribon
- Option "Omit embedded codes" when retrieving fragments from "Translation Results" (TilovdB)
- Switching between different tag view: an option to switch between different tag views (in-line/memoQ tags) while saving all segments intact without "real" re-import.
- Preview window should be able to show ONLY source text, i.e., not both src + increasingly more trgt as you work your way down through the translation. (wordbook.nl)
- Switch between source and target in file preview
- Show the number of locked segment in the status bar
- Ability to resize dialogues in the: Edit term base entry dialogue, such as: Definition, Usage, Notes. (Michael J.W. Beijer)
- It would be nice to have the number of words not started in the Project Status bar at the bottom of the screen. [Requested Nov 2007 by Karin Adamczyk]
- "Projects" button in "Project Manager" (under "Settings") which gives direct access to other projects (TilovdB)
- Display file extensions (and maybe Windows-file-type-icons) in Project Manager (TilovdB)
- Elimination of duplicates (same target, same source) from termbases and translation memory (David Turner)
- Reduce clutter in Translation Results window (numbers, number of fuzzy matches, etc. (David Turner)
- Edit TUs directly in concordance window (T.Rox)
- Add keyboard shortcuts for concordance window (for: Move hits up and down, insert selected) (T.Rox)
- Move word(s) left/right keyboard shortcut as an editing workaround for MQ's lack of drag'n'drop (cut selection (word if insertion point), move left/right, paste, retain selection for next move). (David Turner, May 2008)
- Being able to use MemoQ on two screens (Anette)
- Make all the File Filter settings available via Tools > Options (Thomas V.)
- Provide a GUI to edit the smart quote replacements (Thomas V.)
- Separate Translator editor area into 2 zones by horizontal bar: to see 2 different parts of document (like Adobe Reader or MS Word)
- Being able to move a term from one termbase to another termbase in one click (Anette)
- Show the number of repetitions next to the repetition icon
- Drag & drop for folders: an option to import files by drag & drop of folders (it is now possible to drag & drop files only)
- Import/Export of Transit files, I think (when autoassemble/ebmt is covered) that this will be the crucial feature for MemoQ, the 'killer application thing'. Never understood why Atril doesn't offer this, I believe it's because of old ties. (Hans List)
- VBA-like macro language that allows us to communicate with the interace (pop-up dialogs etc.) and create our own goodies that we can share via this WIKI. My suggestion: Basic Script is Visual Basic for Application™ compatible language built on top of popular SAX Basic engine. The Basic Script comes with powerful editor (features syntax highlighting, tool tips), debugger, dialog editor, language reference help and other tools necessary for comfortable scripts development. Basic Script features more commands then native macro language and allows user to write more complex scripts: use OLE, DDE, create dialogs, use mathematical functions and much more. (Hans List)
- support for document formats:
- Set the language of exported documents to the target language (instead of leaving the original source language setting). Currently 100% of the text in exported doc files is underlined in red. (tsca)
- Would be great if you could just select all the TMs and TBs in one swift click (Anette, August 2010)
- Exclude from import number-only segments: an option not to import number-only segments
- Import of files into Corpora via drug&drop: an option to add documents to Corpora by drug&drop from Windows Explorer (or any other file manager)
- Ability to edit and delete portions and matches directly in the Translation Results window (David Turner)
- After running the "Resolve errors and warnings function", you are still taken to a blank "Resolve errors and warnings" window even if there are no errors to correct. It would be better to have a "No errors or warnings" message. (David Turner)
- Enable "Add all" button in "Mark selected ranges" (XLS-Import) to select multiple tab sheets subsequently (TilovdB)
- AutoAssemble and EBMT. (Hans List)
- Formatting/adding/inserting of bold, italics and underlined is fine (great), but for a technical translator supscript and superscript are necessary too (a lot of m², m³, m-1 etc. in technical texts). (Hans List)
- Find & Replace - adding option with ability to find a source string only in confirmed/edited segments (T. Rox)
- Working area - moving windows from inside MemoQ (like translator's grip, automatic translation results or translation preview) out of MemoQ (for example to another screen) - Grzegorz Kowalski
- A shortcut key for Export Active Document (Anette)
- An "Align from here" function, that would align from a certain part of the text, ignoring previous text. Also being able to edit the text would be a great leap (Mat Holway)
- A vocabulary collecting all the file extensions and invented jargon that stand between user comprehension and effective utilization of the expensive product. For instance, I am still trying to discover the file extension used for memory files. (interpreter)
- "SDL will connect all its translation tools through open APIs and enabling Translators using Trados to easily connect to TDA and benefit from industry-wide sharing of TMs". (www.tausdata.org) I hope MemoQ will consider implementing something similar. (Rod Walters)
- Being able to export all translations in a project at the same time (actually a function that used to be there) (Anette and Tine)
Solved issues or workarounds
For any problem and workaround see also the page CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips and Tricks.
Issues solved in current memoQ version
- Identification of duplicated words: like MS Word does it - Done in current memoQ version
- Filter segments by change date and user: an option to filter only those segments translated e.g. by user XY on 1/1/2012 so as to allow proofreading of segments actually translated by particular person - DONE in memoQ 2013
- Reply to comment: an option to reply to comment (each comment should be signed by user name) - Done in current memoQ version
- Add new words via right-click menu: an option to add an unknown word to dictionary via right-click menu. - Done in current memoQ version
- Import filter to import Trados(TM)-TMs in txt format. (T.Rox) - can be resolved with PlusToyz, XBench or Olifant.
- Add sublanguages for Dutch (TilovdB) - Version 2.2 does this job (Belgium and Netherlands).
- Special characters - This function is available in the most recent version, see menu Edit → Insert symbol.
- Include spaces in character count (Grzegorz Harbaszewski) - memoQ does it in the current version
- View: All except locked rows and View: Locked rows (TilovdB) - memoQ filter can do it in the current version
- 'Case sensitive term recognition'. Some won't use it, but for languages like German it is very useful (the Verb 'schrauben' is translated different from the noun 'Schrauben' (plural)). (Transit offers this, but it's implementation has severe bugs.) (Hans List) - current memoQ version does it
- Larger or adjustable font for the Translation Results area. [Requested Nov 2007 by Karin Adamczyk] - current memoQ version does it
Allow keeping only the last translations for every segment.
- DVX cannot perform this trick (neither can Transit, Trados does it, when re-importing an exporting TM). (Hans List)
- See the solution Gábor Ugray provided under CAT-Tools/MemoQ/Tips and Tricks!
Auto correct as you type.
- Current workaround is to use PhraseExpress, AutoHotkey or similar (Requested Nov 2007 by Karin Adamczyk) - done in current memoQ version
Automatic insertion of exact/best matches from TM
- Pretranslation should do the job (can be configured in different ways) (Grzegorz Harbaszewski)
Hide target languages you don't need
- Edit the LangInfo.xml file and comment out or delete the languages you don't need. You can use Notepad or an XML editor, your choice. Note: Be sure to save a copy of your edited file in a safe place, because a program update will overwrite it.
- The file is found here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MemoQ\LangInfo.xml
Workaround by Gregory - confirmed by Gábor Ugray of Killgray on the MemoQ2 list: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemoQ2/message/2009.
Shortcut: delete entire contents in current translation segment
- Current workaround is to use PhraseExpress, AutoHotkey, or similar (TilovdB)