Anatomy and Physiology of Animals/The Senses/Senses Test Yourself Answers
1. Where are the organs that sense pain, pressure and temperature found?
- The organs that sense pain, pressure and temperature are found in the dermis of the skin.
2. Which sense organ responds to chemicals in the air?
- The olfactory organ in the nose responds to chemicals in the air.
3. Match the words in the list below with the following descriptions.
- optic nerve | choroid | cornea | aqueous humor | retina | cones | iris | vitreous humour | sclera | lens
- a) Focuses light rays on the retina - Lens
- b) Respond to colour and detail - Cones
- c) Outer coat of the eyeball - Sclera
- d) Carries nerve impulses from the retina to the brain - Optic nerve
- e) The chamber behind the lens is filled with this - Vitreous humour
- f) This layer of the eyeball reflects light in nocturnal animals like the cat - Choroid
- g) This is the transparent window at the front of the eye. Cornea
- h) This constricts in bright light to reduce the amount of light entering the eye - Iris
- i) The light rays are focused on here by the lens and cornea - Retina
- j) The chamber in front of the lens is filled with this - Aqueous humour
4. Add the following labels to the diagram of the ear below.
- pinna | Eustachian tube | cochlea | tympanic membrane | external ear canal | ear ossicles | semicircular canals
5. What is the role of the Eustachian tube?
- The Eustachian tube equalises air pressure on either side of the tympanic membrane.
6. What do the ear ossicles do?
- The ear ossicles transmit vibrations across the middle ear to the inner ear.
7. What is the role of the semicircular canals?
- The semicircular canals respond to movement of the head including acceleration and slowing down.