Anatomy and Physiology of Animals/Cardiovascular System/Blood circulation/Test Yourself Answers
1. Does the pulse pass down arteries or veins?
- The pulse passes down arteries.
2. Give 2 other differences between arteries and veins. Arteries have thicker walls than veins. Veins have valves to prevent backflow of blood.
3. What is systole?
- Systole is the period when the ventricles are contracting and sending a wave of high-pressure blood (the pulse) along the aorta and arteries of the body.
4. Circle the correct answer below. Blood flows by this route through the blood vessels of the body.
- b) heart | arteries | capillaries | veins | heart
11. Name the vessel that carries blood:
- from the heart to the main organs of the body:aorta
- from the aorta to the brain: carotid artery
- from the aorta to the kidneys: renal artery
- from the intestines to the liver: hepatic portal vessel
- from the aorta to the heart muscle: coronary artery