From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Fundamentals of programming
Features of Imperative High Level Languages
- Illustrate these features for a particular imperative, third-generation language such as Pascal.
Use the following appropriately.
- Integer, byte, real, boolean, character, string, date/time.
- Enumerated, subrange, sets, records, arrays
- Type Definitions
- Variable Declarations
- Constant Definitions
- Explain the advantages of named variables and constants.
- Procedure/Function Declarations
- Procedure and Function calling - Explain the advantages of procedure/functions.
- Procedure and Function Parameters
- Describe the use of parameters to pass data within programs.
- Understand the different mechanisms for parameter passing: by value and by reference
Arithmetic operators including modulo arithmetic +, –, /, x, DIV, MOD
Relational operators =, <, >, <>, <=, >=
Boolean operators NOT, AND, OR
Logical bitwise operators NOT, AND, OR, XOR
Set operators Union, difference, intersection, membership
- Arithmetic functions: round, truncation.
- String handling functions: length, position, substring, concatenation.
- String conversion functions to/from integer, real, date/time.
The Role of Variables
Recognise the different roles a variable can take:
- fixed value, stepper, most recent holder, most wanted holder, gatherer, transformation, follower, temporary.
Fundamentals of Structured Programming
Understand the structured approach to program design and construction.
- Construct and use structure tables, structure charts and hierarchy charts when designing programs.
- Use meaningful identifier names.
- Use procedures/functions with interfaces.
- Use procedures that execute a single task.
- Explain the advantages of the structured approach.
- One- and Two-Dimensional Arrays - Use arrays in the design of solutions to simple problems.
- Fields, Records and Files
- Read/write from/to a text file (including csv file)
- Read/write records from/to a file of records
- Understand the importance of validation of input data.
- Program simple validation