A-level Computing/AQA/Computer Components, The Stored Program Concept and the Internet/Fundamentals of Computer Systems
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
From the Specification : Hardware and Software
Understand the relationship between hardware and software and be able to define both.
From the Specification : Classification of Software
- Be aware of how software is classified.
- Be able to explain what is meant by system software and application software.
- Understand the need for and attributes of different types of software
From the Specification : System Software
Understand the need for, and functions of, system software:
- Operating system software
- Utility programs
- Library programs
- Translator software (compiler, assembler, interpreter)
From the Specification : Application Software
Describe the different types of application software and the criteria for selecting appropriate software for particular purposes.
- General purpose application software.
- Special purpose application software.
- Bespoke application software
From the Specification : Generations of Programming Language
Describe machine-code language and assembly language.
Awareness of the development of programming languages and the limitations of both machine-code and assembly-language programming
- First generation - Machine code
- Second generation - Assembly language
- Third generation - Imperative high level language
- Explain the term imperative high level language and its relationship to first and second generation languages
- Fourth generation - Declarative language
- Explain the term declarative programming language and where and why declarative languages are used
From the Specification : Types of Program Translator
Define each type of language translator and describe situations where each would be appropriate.